Annual Conference Report - 2017
Dates: 26th - 27th of October 2017
Venue: Embilta Hotel , Addis Ababa , Ethiopia
Participant arrival date, October 25th, 2017
October 26, 2017
After completing registration of participant, welcome and opening speech was made by executives of the association and explained that the association is aimed to keep all emergency surgical Officers of Ethiopia closely knit and in constant touch with each other and build a spirit of unity for a common goal: “improve quality and accessible obstetric and emergency surgical care for the most rural poor population of our country”.
According to the programm, the PAESOE President, Mr. Melese Takele, presented the 2017 performance and 2018 plan. Comments, suggestions and question were forwarded and detailed discussion was made in the following issues as well.
- Theme of the year, which can perfectly represent the mission , vision and goal of the association
- Issues related to strengthen the association membership, as it is known that around 680 ISO’s deployed by FMoH and these are actively working in different corner of Ethiopia but among these around 215 have been registered as a member of PAESOE. One participant who came from Oromia Regional state said “unity is strength and being a member is all about the existence of the association since the last year (2016) , right now it is for the benefit of every health professional(IESOs) him/her self”. Because every benefits which is coming from the association should directly will go for those who are full member and participating actively. Supporting idea were forwarded from Tigray, Amhara, Afar, Somalia, Benishangul Gumuz , Addis Ababa And Dire Dawa IESO representatives.
- There was detailed discussion on quality of service being provided by IESO.
- how to strengthening the association office in terms of financial and human resources. Among the invited distinguished guests, Dr.Awoke from UNFPA made a speech and explained about the trend of maternal mortality which has dramatically been reduced to 420 /100000 and mentioned that how the idea of task shifting and sharing have been well implemented and have come the truth as IESO is the benchmark in reducing maternal death in Ethiopia.
After having tea break, one of the keynote speaker from WHO was Dr Haimanot Ambelu explained that on the good performance of IESO, what has been achieved so far after deployment of this task shifted cadres in rural areas of the country , and she reassured that WHO Ethiopia ia alway willing to work with the association.
On the same day in the afternoon session there were non-published paper presentation made by two IESOs on the role of IESO profession in improving maternal and child health in ethiopia.
October 27, 2017
As per the program, discussion was made on the following issues and the panelist was the association chairman Melese Takele.
- Incentive package (professional and, house allowance)
- Nomenclature (emergency surgical officers by FMoH Vs. emergency surgery professional specialist by FMHACA)
- The future career of this profession(still IESO future fate or academic path has not been certained)
- Involvement of ISOs in the management area
- License and Private practice (after one IESO has fulfilled his obligation or after retirement of serving at rural area)
In summary, the meeting was well attended and several ongoing issues were discussed in detail and meeting got finalized with common understanding and promising to continue providing quality emergency obstetrics and surgical care services for the underserved community of our country.
The total were 200 participants attended the conference and booked in the hotel. WHO-Ethiopia solely has covered for all of this cost of full package of the meeting along with accommodation of all participants. We forward many thanks for WHO executives for their kind support.
Compiled by: Melese Takele
IESO Association President , AA , Ethiopia
Email: [email protected]